Saturday, May 5, 2012

Happy Derby Day

Hi Stampers!
This isn't what I was planning to post today but sometime life happens and you go with it.  The first Saturday in May is always the running of the Kentucky Derby and because my sister worked in the horse racing industry in Kentucky she hosts an annual Derby Party.  Hats are a must for those in attendance and over the years we have made it an outrageous, over-the-top, use materials you have on hand, the more recycled the better, competition.  Some people, who shall remain nameless, are quite competitive.  This year, for the second year running, I've used Stampin' up materials for my creations.  I can't say I'm winning in the recycled content category, but suffice it to say here is my hat base:
Doesn't this inverted applesauce cup scream hat base to you?  I forgot to mention it is almost imperative that you don't start to make the hat until hours before the event so there is no pre-planning, no pre-purchasing materials, very little engineering, hence the recycled materials angle.  I was thinking mini pillbox.  What actually transpired was this:

Carmen Miranda meets mini pill box!  I attached a mini elastic to hold it on so it will sit at a jaunty angle.  I would post the photo but I promised my children I wouldn't embarrass them...
My horse today is Daddy Long Legs- wish me luck!
Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Mom, you mostly rarely hardly ever sometimes less often embarrass us. It is okay if you want to post a picture of yourself modeling the hat. Sometimes these things are necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. most impressive...but i do need to see it on for proportion... : )

    ReplyDelete