Hi everyone, I'm Kristen, a fellow blogger and Stamper with Stampin' Up. I don't primarily blog about Stampin' Up, but I love a good idea when I see one and the Idea Book is chock full of them.
Rule number One of crafts. Copy And Steal Everything...in the most complementary way possible. Haven't you ever heard the saying "copying is the highest form of complimenting"?
Well, let's just say I got crafty today based upon an idea I saw in my Stampin' Up Idea Book and Catalog. Page 97.
Now, I have this handy-dandy box that I got as part of the "gift" that came with my favorite Dolce & Gabbana perfume. It's gold and unfortunately says "Dolce & Gabbana" on it. I've been using it to hold my sample cards for the Stampin' Up demonstrations I have.
So, inspired by that idea so thoughtful provided by the lovely creative types at Stampin' Up, I dug out my rubber cement and went to work.
I chose rubber cement because of my college days. It's adhesive, messy, and delightfully tacky. And that sucker holds like whoa. I chose to use some of our Specialty Designer Series paper, and utilized my scoring board and my cutter. Don't forget a ruler!
After I measured the box dimensions, I started slicing and dicing. I measured out 1 1/8" wide strips for the sides on the lid, and made them a little long so they'd wrap around the corners and create a smooth corner. I did the same for the sides of the box, but with 4 1/4" strips.
The front edge of the lid all the way down the back is one continuous piece of paper. I used my bone folder to smooth the paper down and round the corners. Now, the trick with rubber cement is not to stick the pieces together while they are wet, but rather, paint a thin coat of cement on both the paper and the side of the box. Wait until they dry and then carefully align and place. Use the bone folder to smooth the bubbles out.
The front of the bottom is just one square of paper. Next, I started on the interior. I measured the pieces I'd need. A flat square for the bottom, and strips for the interior edge.
Then, I stamped letters. I double stamped -- to give the letters dimensions -- I used Daffodil Delight for the first layer, and then for the second layer I used Soft Suede. I backed my letters with more of the designer paper, and then with Pear Pizzazz paper.
Using some thread and a needle, though I recommend the baker's twine or the linen thread from Stampin' Up, I sewed the letters together. I used the snail adhesive to attach the yellow strip and the thread to the inside of the box.